Tuesday, May 13, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABY!


I woke up in the morning of May 12th, 2007 and knew I was going to have a baby soon. I quickly scheduled a 4-D ultra sound because I felt guilty that I had done one with Tyson, and hadn't yet done it for this baby. I didn't want him starting out in the world with the "2nd child syndrome" of hand-me-downs and incomplete baby books. I told Jim that day that we needed to go on a serious walk that evening. So we did, and we walked for about 3 hours with me pushing Ty in the stroller up and down a few hills. It must have worked because my water broke just outside the gates of our neighborhood. This picture is of me after I had changed my amniotic fluid soaked clothes (can you find them in the pic?). My mom might die when she's sees this picture up here, and I'm sure it's not what you all want to see, but I promised someone I'd post it.  I'm waiting for Jim to finish my dinner because I didn't want to go to the hospital on an empty stomach. I know the stark white prego body is just too hot to handle, but it tells the story. 
After an entire night and morning of labor, Lucas John Pettingill was born Sunday May 13th, 2007 ~ Mothers Day! Jim presented me with my Mother's Day present (he luckily had it in the car) during my labor. Part of it was Mary Kay's Satin Hands, and he did a full on hand treatment for me. He gained all the favor of the nurses (and his wife) with the hand treatment, during labor. Luke gave us a little scare, you know when the doctor stops talking and he and the nurses are hauling booty pulling, and grabbing, prodding, etc., something's not quite right. He finally came out a little too wrapped up in the cord and didn't cry for a LONG time. I kept yelling at Jim to make him cry, but I found out later that Jim was too freaked out to leave me because I was hemorrhaging a little too much. Finally my mom suggested that it was ok for Jim to go to Luke, and I'd be fine. Sure enough when daddy got there, we got a cry. It was pretty much the BEST sound I have ever heard. 
Between a 13 month old, an overtired wife, no time off from flying, and a newborn, Jim and Lucas spent the first few weeks sacked out in the recliner every chance they got.  
We could not get one picture of Tyson and Lucas together where they looked decent. We figured their little piggies would due for cute factor.
When I found out I was pregnant and my kids were going to be 13 months apart, I'll admit, the excitement wasn't as intense as it was with our first pregnancy. I had so many concerns such as could I love another child as much as I love my first born, could we handle it, would I be cheating either one of my children of attention? After 1 year of having Lucas in our family, I can truly say that this year has been amazing, and I can't imagine our family with out our Lukey. He brings us so much joy, words can not describe it. His older brother still isn't exactly thrilled but they're making progress. When Tyson sees Lucas in the morning or when he wakes up from his nap, he says "Hi baby." They've started to play "chase" around the house, and they can even sometimes play cars together. Lucas of course adores his older brother, and I'm sure shortly they will be best buds. We love you Lukey, Happy Birthday Baby!!! 

5 comments:

Christie said...

That picture of you made me die of laughter!!!! So awesome! Looking at your kids makes me want one... maybe one of these days :)

kimbo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kimbo said...

Ok, I feel like such a dork. I just deleted a comment because I realized your post was not talking about a baby just being born. I'm losing my mind! It's because of the move. Why did I think you just had another baby? Not sure. I just saw the prego picture of you and went a little nuts. We'll miss you guys!

Brooke said...

Wow... you sure are brave for posting that first picture. I'd probably kill my mo-in-law if I posted something like that.

You almost made me cry reading about your labor story. It really is an amazing miracle how we come in to this earth.

Love you, love all three of your boys. I sure am feeling the live tonight:)

Brooke said...

LOVE not live... oops:)